Friday, August 10, 2012

Chocolate muffin goodness

My parents gave me a handy cupcake pan with a lid and handle so that I'm ready to celebrate all of Maks' birthdays and parties in the future.  I could only return the gesture by using the pan to make some tasty treats.  I'm not a big chocolate fan, but my mom loves it, so I whipped up these super quick, chocolaty muffins.  When it comes to chocolate treats, these are pretty darn healthy!  This recipe makes 8 muffins.  Oh, and you MUST eat them right after they've cooled for 10 minutes to get the most of their warm, gooey goodness!

** As always, I try to use organic ingredients, so that goes without saying.  It's up to you, though!  You can always play around with substitutions for oil, sugar, flour, etc.**

1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/3 cup cacao powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2+ cup organic cacao chips (or vegan chips, if you prefer)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

I use a misto (thanks, Erin and Matt Laney!) to put a little canola or olive oil in the muffin tins to prevent sticking.

Mix together wet (applesauce, oil and vanilla) and dry (remaining) ingredients in separate bowls. 

Combine the wet and dry ingredients.  Distribute between 8 muffin tins.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, just until the tops of the muffins are barely firm to touch.

Cool for 10 minutes and then remove from pan and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment