Thursday, October 18, 2012

Organic Clothing

You've probably noticed that in almost all of Maks' photos he is wearing only a cloth diaper.  We don't have many clothes for him, as we live in the heat of the deep south.  However, the fabric items that he does have (onesies, sleep gowns, blankets, etc.) are all organic.  We realize that this isn't possible to carry out for Maks' life.  However, during the early months while he's still developing so rapidly, we plan to keep things as organic and natural as we possibly can.

I've had a close friend from MN jokingly scold, "Put some clothes on that kid!"  Well, the 20+ degree difference in temperature between MN and LA just didn't warrant making Maksim get dressed when it was 100 degrees out in September.  However, our recent trip to Oregon and Washington forced us to finally purchase some "real" clothes for our little one.

It's difficult to find organic clothing in Shreveport.  Actually, it's impossible.  We're forced to do the majority of our shopping for Maksim (both clothes and other items) online.  Lucky for me, another good friend of mine gave me the heads up just as organic baby and toddler clothing store, Positively Organic, was closing it's doors.  The discounted prices were outrageous!  However, styles, colors and sizes were limited.  I quickly snatched up what was left in Maks' size and hoped it arrived before our flight to Portland departed.


The box arrived just in time.  I got busy removing tags and washing everything prior to packing our bags.


Here are Maks' duds.  Not a whole lot, but it's a start!  My next hurdle was convincing Maksim that it was a good idea to put shirts/pants on his body for an extended period of time...


No trouble with that challenge; Maks thinks clothes are hilarious!  (Sorry for the blurry photo.  He is such a wiggle worm!)

It's honestly a shame that stores such as Positively Organic wind up being forced to shut down.  True, some of their prices are a bit higher than their non-organic competitors'.  But, come on, people!  You're investing in your child's health (not just in his/her fashionable wardrobe)!  My husband always reminds me that I vote with my pocketbook.  In order to encourage production and availability, I (WE ALL) need to keep buying!  If WE ALL start to buy more organic products made with low impact chemical dyes, pretty soon we'll find a whole lot more of what we desire show up on our local stores' shelves!  (Wait a minute...buying the things we want, IN LOCAL STORES?  Sounds convenient and downright lovely, right?  My fingers are forever crossed!)

In the meantime, check out another one of my favorite brands for organic onesies/bodysuits, Hudson Baby!

*Fair warning...Maksim and I have been traveling light with only 1 carry on to hold all of our stuff for weeks at a time.  Additionally, a second order of clothing that I'd purchased for Maks didn't show up in enough time for me to bring it with us.  So, you'll be seeing the same outfit(s) being worn repetitively in the upcoming posts!*

No comments:

Post a Comment