Monday, September 17, 2012

Tears and Teething

We've been cleaning up drool for a good month and a half now, and we can definitely feel some tiny buds in Maksim's mouth.  I'm also quite certain that a lot of Maksim's recent tearful awakenings throughout the night can be blamed on his teething.  There is no worse feeling than knowing that your child is hurting and there is nothing that you can do to help them.  I mean, I'm sure Maks will thank me someday for allowing him to teethe - there is nothing cute about a 15 year old (or 30 or 50 year old) without teeth.   Nonetheless, I've been told to expect 4 months of drooling before the first teeth actually break skin.  We only have a month and a half down, but progress is progress.

When Maks first started to struggle with teething, I was unsure of what I should give him to help ease his pain.  I know what you're thinking: Baltic Amber Teething Necklaces.  Well, I haven't quite bought into the hype of the baltic amber teething necklaces.  The idea sounds nice, but I'm not exactly convinced.  In theory, the beads release succinic acid to be absorbed through your child's skin.  (These are necklaces, NOT teethers.)  I acknowledge the historic use of this acid as an anti-inflammatory medication and analgesic, but I'm also quite certain that in today's market, these tiny stones are sure to be produced with loads of resin and treated with who-knows-what else.  And, even if I was able to get my hands on a real, true-quality baltic amber necklace, I'm not convinced that the beads will have a high enough concentration of succinic acid to be able to be absorbed through Maks' skin, travel through his bloodstream and have any significant effect of his pain.  I'm not going to knock it until I've tried it, but for now, I'm opting to keep the baltic amber necklace in my back pocket and instead venturing down other avenues for Maksim's teething-pain relief.  

So, back to good old teethers.  There are hundreds of teethers on the market, but I won't bring myself to allow Maks to gnaw on plastics loaded with BPA or fabrics soaked with dyes and other toxins.  Thus, my search for quality, affordable, all-natural teethers began.  I carefully selected the following two products and have been extremely happy with the results so far:


The Little Star teething ring is 100% natural and comes in 4 different styles.  The ring itself is sustainably-harvested, unfinished birch wood.  It is a little bit large for Maks to fit very far into his mouth just yet, but he sure does try his very best to get it in there!  I'm positive that as he continues to grow, the ring will get more and more action!  Tied on to the ring is fabric consisting of 4 layers of 100% organic cotton.  The fabric is completely free of bleach, dyes and chemicals.  It has 2 different textures, so it stimulates Maks sense of sight and touch when he's holding it, looking at it, and chewing on it.  I also like that we can soak it in some water and freeze it to give him a bit more relief once those pearly white get closer to making their grand debut!




I'd already found a good, firm teether in the Little Star ring, but I wanted something a bit softer for when Maks' gums were really tender.  I didn't like the idea of Maks chewing on synthetic silicone.  So, after some more searching, the standout winner in my eyes is Maks' Hevea Panda Teether.  When I came across Hevea's teething products, I was pleased to discover that the panda was made from 100% natural rubber.  It's completely free from phthalates, colors, PVC, EVAtane, silicone, and BPA.  Yes, please!  It's perfect for encouraging his gnawing actions, and the gentle texture is soothing for his baby gums.  He has truly loved this panda from day one; I could barely get it out of the package before he was trying to fit the poor bear into his tiny mouth!



Maksim is slowly adjusting to the teething pressure and also getting loads better at coordinating his hand-to-mouth movements.  It is true that these teethers were a bit tricky for him to consistently maneuver at 3 months old.  Now, a month an a half later, he's becoming quite skilled at picking objects up, changing the angle he's holding them at and placing them exactly where they need to go in order to soothe his pain.  And we're sleeping a little bit better through the nights now, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment