Sunday, September 17, 2017

Oh, Baby!

SHE'S HERE!  And we're all in love.  Scarlett Abrielle Kroger, you've stolen our hearts.


Hello, Baby Scarlett!  So glad to see you!

Our family grew by another 2 (tiny) feet on the morning of September 16, 2017.  Things were unpredictable and spontaneous, which has kind of become our thing.  So, it was perfect in its own unique way! 

Scarlett Abrielle Kroger
9/16/17 @ 6:31AM
8# 13oz (a full pound less than Deklan...and 2#5oz less than Maks!)
19" long (2.5 full inches shorter than her brothers)
14" head (same as Deklan, 1" smaller than Maksim)


Just a few hours old.

Talk about a waiting game.  40 weeks came and went.  I was a bit surprised as I was only pregnant with Deklan for 39 weeks, but I was also glad to have both boys get into the groove of full day school before adding a newborn to the mix.  Additionally, Maksim was born at 40 weeks and 5 days, so passing my due date didn't make me blink an eye.  But before I knew it, 41 weeks passed by.  As did another day.  And yet another.  And even part of a 3rd...



Self explanatory.

41 weeks and (still) counting...



The struggle is real...

41+ weeks pregnant, 90+ degrees, no A/C.

At 41 weeks and 2 days pregnant, I drove to the hospital associated with my birthing center to have an ultrasound to check baby's growth, amniotic fluid levels and the health of my placenta.  All was well, and the ultrasound estimated baby #3 to weigh in at 8#13oz (plus/minus 1.5# - so basically anywhere from 7#5oz - 10#5oz.  Anybody could have estimated that range without having even seen me!).  I continued on with my day and drove to pick the boys up from school.

There were only 2 remaining obstacles for me to get through.  The first was to go into labor naturally, prior to 42 weeks.  Failure to do so would require me to resort to some kind of induction as well as a hospital birth as opposed to labor/delivery at the birth center.  The second hoop for me to jump through was to get from 7pm this evening to 7am tomorrow morning.  The birth center midwives were short staffed during this particular evening and the working midwives were all scheduled at the hospital for this 12 hour shift.

Well, I successfully jumped through ONE of those hoops.  Around 10:45pm that evening spotting let me know that my labor was somewhere in the near future.  I wasn't too optimistic that I'd have much time, but also knew that labor could be a day or two away (unlikely due to how far along I already was).  However, contractions started relatively soon afterwards and I knew this was it.  There was no chance that I'd be making it until 7am before needing to be at the birth center, so hospital birth it was.

Fortunately for us, it was the middle of the night and Bryon had a friend who was willing to come over and watch our (sleeping) boys for us through the remainder of the night and next day.  Had Nick not been available, I'd have had to labor/deliver at the hospital solo as we had no childcare arrangements for Maksim and Deklan (the birth center is basically a house with full kitchen, living room, toys, beds, etc. so it's family friendly - unlike the hospital at 1am). 

Nick arrived at our house around 12:15am and after an hour drive to the birth center, I met my midwife in the ER lobby at 1:15am.  I was dilated to a 4 and 50% effaced, but needed to be at the hospital early enough time to get 2 full rounds of antibiotics (as I was GBS+) - with 4 hours between doses.  I finished the first round at 2:15am, labored for 4 hours and finished the 2nd round at 6:15am.  Scarlett's labor wasn't nearly as easy as Deklan's, but the travel/environment/atmosphere for her delivery wasn't nearly as quiet and relaxing as laboring in the comfort of your own home either.

A few minutes (and pushes) later, and we had a beautiful baby GIRL in our arms.  All 8lbs 13oz of her (hey, that ultrasound was 100% accurate!).  We had to put her in the same outfit that both of her brothers took their birthday photos in.


Hello, world!

And just for comparison purposes...


Scarlett


Maksim/Deklan

Scarlett and I were both healthy and doing well, so we made the decision to forego the postpartum stay and checked out of the hospital just hours after she was born.  She had 2 very excited big brothers anxiously waiting to meet her back home!  Maks had been certain that he's getting a little sister (he's been asking for one since his 4th birthday and due to a miscarriage last summer, baby #3 took a bit longer to arrive than expected), while Deklan's guess was for another little boy.  I knew that Maksim would be ecstatic but also SO disappointed that we didn't take his advice and name his little sister Beautiful Cupcake.  We'll settle on that for a nickname instead!


Obsessed.

Full house.

Big brother duties.  He's not the youngest anymore!

I just LOVE Deklan in this video.  "You can hold that side."


And Maksim is so honest about how long he's been waiting to meet her.



Both boys have been battling colds, so we've been cautious to let them too close to Scarlett until those have run their course.  They soak up every chance they get to see her when she's awake (and they're not either away at school or sleeping themselves) and cannot wait to teach her everything they know about the world!


And then there were 3.

We've been waiting for you, Scarlett.  And we're so glad you're finally here!

No comments:

Post a Comment