Thursday, January 3, 2013

Happy Holidays 2012

Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas...wow, I've been absent for longer than anticipated.

2 days before Christmas, Bryon and I realized that we hadn't taken Maks on a trip to see Santa.  I bounced back and forth with this for quite some time because we aren't teaching Maksim to believe in Santa Claus.  We do, however, celebrate the Holidays with presents and family time. And, as Bryon pointed out to me, he has a picture of himself on Santa's lap when he's nearly 20 years old (and clearly not believing)...so there's nothing wrong with a harmless photo with the big guy!  So, we put Maks in his Holiday jammies and ventured down to the Boardwalk.

(Maks did get a quick photo with Santa, but it is already packed away with our tree and other decorations - which Bryon boxed up and put in the garage just yesterday.  I'm thinking it's in my best interest to not request that he go and retrieve the photo after he kindly put everything away without me even asking!)

He's not too sure about that unfriendly reindeer.  At least Kira wags her tail and greets him with a kiss!

"Oooooh, I'll take one of these!"


Although it was overcast, it was plenty warm enough to leave coats/hats/mittens behind.  In fact, most have been boxed up since we left Minnesota.  I've been enjoying our warm winters for the past 4 years.

I don't miss the cold and snow of the Midwest throughout the winter months.  But, the lack of all things wintery (evergreens, snowfall, icicles and a neighborhood full of twinkly lights) made me feel as though we needed a little bit of "The Holidays" in our own home.  We aren't too big on decorating for the seasons.  It's hard enough for us to decorate in general!  Our tree is pretty "natural" - aside from the white LED lights, we only add pinecones.  (Hey, at least we have a tree!  That was a battle I won when we first moved to TX!)  We generally add 1 photo ornament per year - something that highlights the biggest event of the year...an engagement photo, a picture of Kira's 1st year with us, a wedding photo, etc.  However, this year I decided to get a little crafty instead.  Here's what I came up with to capture Maks' first season:

No, Maks does not have two right feet.  What he does have are kicky feet.  It was far less messy for me to paint one foot than it was for me to paint them both.

Reindeer thumbprints for Daddy, Mommy and Maksim!

Bryon receives nearly two weeks off during the Holiday season this year.  He came home early on the 21st and besides needing to work for 2 random days, he doesn't return to the office until January 7th.  Well, he'll be leaving on a jet plane on the 7th, but you know what I mean. Anyhow, he needs to stay close to home since he's technically on call, so there is no traveling for us this season.  We've spent a lot of time being lazy at home...ahem, which is also known as a full-time job.  Bryon is now fully aware of how time and energy consuming it is to watch after our son 24X7.  I'm appreciating having help round the clock!

Maksim was bound and determined to find a present underneath our tree!

Here are our littles enjoying a present or two on the morning of the 25th.  Maks scored big with...wait for it...spoons and bibs!  Ha!  We needed them.  It was a quick way to check some items off our shopping list...




I knew the kid would be far more interested in the wrapping paper anyhow!




Check out this thoughtful gift that my cousin sent Maks in the mail: organic, earth grown crayons.  Totally up our alley!  Little crayons for little hands, shaped like flowers, chili peppers, ears of corn, strawberries, carrots, etc.  I couldn't have thought of a more perfect gift myself! THANK YOU!!!


Stockings!!!  Maks was naughty, so he didn't get anything in his stocking.  We shoved him inside of it instead.  


Now onto our other "little."  Kira wasn't about to be fooled by silly presents.  She knows a good gift when she smells it!  In fact, I almost had to carry her upstairs on Christmas Eve because she could smell her knuckle bone that I'd wrapped and placed under the tree before bedtime.  And, believe me, Kira has no problem breaking the "do not open until Christmas morning" rule.  She also got a nice, new Kong leash.  The leash was essential because she loves walking with me and Maks, and her old leash is thinning to the size of dental floss.  Her big score, however, was a stocking full of squeaky tennis balls.  She generally only receives one ball at a time.  Once it gets dirty enough in the backyard, we throw it away and give her a new one.  She was completely overwhelmed when her stocking was full of tennis balls and she was able to play with them all...at the same time...INSIDE the house!  Kira loves Christmas.



We plan to give Kira a new ball every month or so throughout the year, so we needed to find a place to store the extras after she played with them inside on Christmas Day.  They're currently sitting inside of a basket, on top of our washing machine.  She knows it, too.  She'll sit with her nose on the door to the laundry room and whimper...this has been going on for nearly 10 days. She'll never give up.



Finally, Maksim's "real" present.  IT  WAS A HIT!  I bought him a swing and we installed it inside of our home.  Right now it's too cold to get much use of it when it's outside, and in the heat of the 110 degree summer I doubt we'll be using it on a regular occasion either.  So, inside is perfect.  We use it ALL OF THE TIME, and Maks just loves it!  


I hope you all enjoyed the Holidays, however you spent your time!  Happy Holidays 2012!

Happy Holidays 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment